"Geirdriful the Sky Valkyrie is the pure-hearted and decisive Valkyrie. In spite of her flaws, she is the role model for her fellow Valkyrie to look up to."
— Newt about Sky Valkyrie Geirdriful
Geirdriful, better known as Sky Valkyrie, is Valkyrie Armor that specializes in sword and shield combat. Whoever wields the armor shall take the title of Geirdriful the Sky Valkyrie and Guardian of Luna Nova. The current bearer of this armor is Ursula Callistis aka. Chariot du Nord.
Description & CharacteristicsEdit
Geirdriful is Valkyrie Armor with blue, white, and red coloration much like Ursula's Shiny Chariot Costume since the latter's design being inspired by the armor. Alongside Elemental Valkyrie armors, the armor is made of Great Lindworm scales-based Solais Metal forged by witch-blacksmiths of Thapoli under comission of Beatrix Cavendish many generations ago. As with other Valkyrie Armors, the user has time limit around two minutes when donning the armor before its magic overheats and begin to burn her. When charged with emotional and spiritual energy of the user, the bright green glow of circuit-like markings on the armor's wing ornaments, sides of the helmet, breastplate, shoulder plates, tassets, greaves, and edges of its robe/tunic's bottom and sleeves become brighter.
The one who takes the title of Geirdriful is regarded to be the strongest Valkyrie, as its appearance alone commands respect and even awe among Valkyries and witches alike, so much so that the symbol of Geirdriful itself is instantly recognized by anyone in magic community. Because of this, upon learning that Chariot intended to use the design of Geirdriful Armor as the basis of her Shiny Chariot costume, Newt helped her designing the costume to made the similarities between the two less obvious, having foreseen that her apprentice's reputation as a stage performer would be contrasted to that of as a Valkyrie.
According to Ursula, the Geirdriful armor's earliest bearer was one of Woodward's most trustworthy follower and her distant predecessors. The armor, alongside its user, were charged by Woodward herself to safeguard Luna Nova Magical Academy, the prestigious witch academy in all Europe against those who threatened it. The armor is passed from master to apprentice over the course of generations. Miranda Holbrooke was the previous bearer of Geirdriful before having Newt Astriddotir passed the armor to Chariot du Nord as her most recent successor. As the new Sky Valkyrie, Chariot soon became one of greatest Valkyrie Newt and her fellow Thapolians ever trained, but after accidently stealing her audience's magic due to Croix's deception and scarred the moon (which resulting Shiny Rod withered on her hands), she began to question her worth as Geirdriful and Guardian of Luna Nova. As result, she stopped donning the armor until she able to set right what was wrong, something she finally succeed by guiding the next bearer of Shiny Rod and future bearer of Kara armor, Atsuko Kagari, to restore Yggdrasil and magic back to the world. That, and through encouragement from Newt, allowed Chariot to regain her confidence and pride as the Guardian of Luna Nova.
Skills & AbilitiesEdit
Geirdriful noted to be the most powerful Valkyrie Armor ever created by best witch-blacksmiths of Thapoli, as its power is greater than Elemental Valkyrie armors, which already above average compared to standard Valkyrie Armors. As with other Valkyrie Armors, Geirdriful armor is designed to bestow any witch who wear it enhanced strength, defense, and power to superhuman level. Made from Solais Metal, the armor can withstand magical and physical attacks and its power can be used in Ley Lines-free areas. Geirdriful also said to be the most skilled in combat and more powerful than Elemental Valkyrie armors.
For combat, as the armor specializes in sword and shield combat, the user has greater advantage when using either sword and shield form of her Valkyrie Blades or ordinary swords and shields as the armor increases her performance with the said weapons.
The armor has an affinity with the element of sky and the cosmos at large. It can unlock a boost in power and speed that is unleashed when the wearer expands the cape and morphs it into Callisto Wings, allowing her to vanquish enemies instantly and fly in supersonic speed regardless whether the wearer can magically fly since the ability comes from the armor itself.
Weapons & EquipmentsEdit
- Geirdriful Gauntlet: This is the vital part of Geirdriful Armor which acts as both its dormant form and summoning trinket. It takes the appearance of metallic white bracelet with thicker edge and a symbol in form of blue circle with red edge and yellow four pointed star inside. This part magically linked with the rest of the armor that normally stored in pocket dimension when not used. To bring out Geirdriful Armor's full potential, the user must chants out Venta Herkleda while simultaneously rubbed the gauntlet abrasively. If performed correctly, the friction will create multiple green sparks which forms a circular portal (usually above the user's head) from which the armor descends and wrap themselves around her body with temporary glow, completing the transformation. As the gauntlet being vital part of the armor, its destruction will cause the armor to disintegrate into nothingness.
- Callisto Wings: Named after Greek mythological figure of same name, the red cape can transform into large wings which unlocks extra boost of power and speed at will. The wings also enable Geirdriful to fly in supersonic speed regardless whether the wearer can magically fly or not since the ability comes from the armor itself, but due to risk of using this feature, Ursula rarely use it.
- Bladed Tassels: Geirdriful Armor possesses a pair of blade-tipped tassets attached on her back that can be employed at will if needed. The blades are red in color with edge that glows in bright green. This weapon can be employed as either weapom or grappling hook.
Notes & TriviaEdit
- In legend, Geirdriful is the Master of Arms in Vahalla. Her responsibility being to train and arm Odin's einherjar, his personal army for when Ragnarok comes. She was said to has her hands full training them.
- For the design of Geirdriful Armor, BSoulstone draws inspiration from Ursula's Shiny Chariot Costume with similarities between the armor and the costume deliberately made evident through the hat and cape (something which lampshaded by Akko in It'll Sure to Begin). For the armor's bladed tassets and Callisto Wing design, BSoulstone draw reference from design of Garo armor from GARO: Vanishing Line and Black Lion's Ephemeral Wings from Voltron: Legendary Defender respectively. The meridian emerald glow was later added as reference from TRON series.